In Africa, the organisation has 300 operational projects in 40 countries and counts over 800 personnel. The regional portfolio of programmes and projects focuses mainly on supporting fragile and conflict-affected states and the region’s operations are divided into six sub-regional Multi Country Offices and two standalone key Country Offices.
The Office of the Regional Director is responsible for the management of opportunities as well as strategic and operational risks for the regional portfolio. The office also provides strategic leadership, technical guidance, and advisory support and oversight to the operations across offices within the Africa region.
The Deputy Regional Director, Africa (AFR) reports to the Director of Regional Portfolios who fulfills the Regional Director function for the Africa region and who provides broad supervision and guidance.
- Responsible for leadership of the Africa regional portfolio, ensuring effective and efficient delivery of results
- Contributes towards setting the strategy for the Africa region and manages the priorities, targets and implementation plans for substantive results with regards to the regional business development and the scope and organizational structures in the Africa region.
- Is responsible for providing the intellectual, conceptual, technical and managerial leadership as well as supervision and guidance within the Africa region. The Deputy Regional Director supervises all Country and Multi Country Directors within the Africa region.
Corporate function and services
- Contribute to the formulation of the Organisation overall strategies and policies through advisory services to the Director of Regional Portfolios and participation in senior management deliberation on current and future business operations and strategy development and planning.
- Keep abreast of organizational changes to align regional strategy and approaches to organizational development, business development and management of regional project portfolio and delivery of sustainable results.
- Represent the Organisation, at key global/regional events (including media and public relations events) and meetings to speak on regional organizations goals, interests and competencies, build and maintain alliances and to promote/advocate Organisation position as a partner of choice in sustainable development in the region.
- Develop the regional strategy, establish priorities, and supervise the implementation of the annual business plan for the regional portfolio including business development initiatives/activities.
- Establish the Regional Office annual work priorities in collaboration with the team and partners, set objectives, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and partner-oriented services.
- Regularly review organisational structures in the region to ensure optimal structural set up for delivery of current business objectives. Make recommendations for establishment of new/revised organisational structure, such as Country Office.
- Assess the performance and efficacy of the regional operations and take decisions and/or recommend to the Director of Regional Portfolios appropriate changes in operations to enhance/maximise results for regional portfolio delivery and regional business development
Representation and partnership
- At the request of the Director of Regional Portfolios (acting in the capacity of the Regional Director), represent Organisation in senior inter-agency and external meetings/bodies in the region to promote the organization, influence policy discussion and to identify potential areas for Organisation partnership and engagement.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners, colleagues and stakeholders to keep abreast of evolving trends, advocate Organisation services and build partnerships/alliances to maintain/enhance visibility in project services in development cooperation.
- Build and maintain regional public/media relations to actively engage their interest/support in promoting and communicating Organisation achievements, competencies and interest in global development.