Research, plan, design, develop and conduct tests on electronic and mechanical assemblies and systems. Design test control apparatus and equipment, evaluation of operational systems and recommendation of design modifications to eliminate causes of malfunctions or changes in system requirements. Direct and coordinate activities of the engineering department which include design, manufacture and test electronic, and failure analysis as required.
- Give advice on production, test, purchasing and sales to discuss existing or potential engineering projects and products.
- Confer with management, production, sales and purchasing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness and customer demand for new and existing products.
- Direct and coordinate manufacturing support, documentation, and test activities to ensure compliance with specifications, and customer requirements.
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing specifications.
- Prepare and communicate specifications for purchase of materials and equipment/tooling when necessary.
- Examine, prepare and verify technical drawings and specifications of electrical systems, to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements. May draft detailed multi-view drawings of assemblies and sub-assemblies.
- Analyze engineering sketches, specifications and related data and drawings to determine design factors.
- Modify design to correct operating deficiencies and/or reduce production issues.
- Confer with document originators to resolve discrepancies and compile required changes to ISO work instructions and other related documents.
- Design and plan the layout of electrical assemblies to customer requirements; communicating details with Manufacturing and Test.
- Direct field testing of products and systems on first run items.
- Prepare estimates, cost reports, forecasts, schedules, account codes, budgets, and change orders.
- Coordinate quantity estimates by obtaining and analyzing data on unit labor costs and unit material costs to reduce costs and increase production.
- Communicate and update estimates, schedules, reports, and documents based on revisions and changes to the project.
- Responsible for the preparation of final project reports including obtaining historical data and information.
- Conduct a quality check of all documents and reports, verifying accuracy of data, information, and calculations.
- Assists in preparing and maintaining the departmental policies, procedures, and manuals.