Responsible for the overall management and technical operations of company fleet. This includes overseeing the daily operations of maintenance and repair, budgeting, survey schedules, onboard general assessment of vessels, inspections and docking.
Vessel Management (Technical):
- Monitor, manage and report the day to day technical operation and performance of assigned vessels, in conjunction with the on-board management, to ensure that applicable requirements for safety, quality, energy efficiency and environmental objectives are met.
- Acts as the first point-of-contact and interface on all technical vessel matters.
- Prepares Vessel Technical Budget for approval and ensures compliance with budget.
- Estimates and plans budgets for fleet maintenance in consultation with the Operations Manager.
- Manages critical vessel equipment/spares optimally.
Vessel Maintenance (Planned & Preventive) and Repair Management:
- Attends to and supervises assigned vessels and crew for timely port turnaround and shipyard repair activities.
- Ensures that all vessels are technically operational or otherwise managed according to the management requirement and optimally operational and fit for service.
- Investigates all reported deficiencies, non-conformities and defects and takes corrective action to ensure all are cleared to prevent operational delays on all vessels.
- Tracks and ensures on-board crews complete ‘day-to-day’ Planned Maintenance System (PMS) programmes and M&R activities (mainly preventive) of all vessels to maintain the proper operational status of the vessels and to enforce zero downtime.
- Identifies potential causes of defects, investigates and analyses reported defects, taking corrective & preventive actions in consultation with the Operations Manager.
- Inspects equipment lists and tests to ensure that all equipment to be used are indeed well-maintained and in excellent working condition
- Co-ordinates and ensures planned and non-routine maintenance and repairs are carried out and concluded within agreed timelines and budgets.
- Ensure to have strong Technical and Project Management skills.
Vessel Monitoring and Report Analysis:
- Monitors and analyses the technical status of all vessels and uses information therefrom to prepare a biweekly executive summary for the Operations Manager.
- Ensures the design, monitoring and update of both maintenance plans and maintenance documentation and reporting systems where and when necessary.
- Ensures that all maintenance and repair tasks comply with Company’s and Client’s Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality Policies and Procedures.
- Cooperates with regulatory bodies to ensure that requirements for alterations, repair, or modifications are done at the most cost effective and safest manner.
- Plans dry-dock scope and duration with minimal disruption to vessel operating schedule.
- Sources for cost effective and qualified dry-dock vendor.
- Ensures dockyard, ship builder and other parties involved in the dry-dock collectively and individually endorse the planned dry-dock duration schedule.
- Ensures critical parts needed for the dry-dock are in the company warehouse or with the dry-dock vendor prior to commencement of the dry-docking exercise.
- Carries out and supervises the dry-docking of vessels.
Vendor Technical Relations:
- Evaluates all spare parts requisitions received from vessels and monitor the efficient and timely supply of all spares required for the proper maintenance and safe operation of the vessels.
- Handles warranty claims for vessels where applicable.
- Liaising with clients, crew and local stakeholders.
- Appoint and manage subcontractors for vessel maintenance and services.
Charter Technical Audits:
- Supervises all technical Charter audits and investigations on defects/failures on a regular scheduled basis to ensure conformance.
- Acts as interface on all contractual, marine and nautical matters, and pro-actively develops Client relations.
- Ensures that all vessels comply with class society.
- Ensures full compliance with Port State control.
- Plans, controls and executes all activities connected to class survey and certificate requirements and builds and maintains effective liaison with relevant authorities.
- Controls and monitors that assigned vessels are ready for use and certified.
- Undertake any other Technical related assignment as and when required.
Training and Development:
- Trains the technical staff (where applicable) to effectively act as a redundancy.